Saturday, June 6, 2009

Pressing in the neck cups...

I check magazines, seen some weak TV shows, and scoured the internet for the right way to press the neck cups into my frame without messing them up and keeping them flush. This may seem random or out of place, but I have to accomplish what I can on my own. I was outside filing down welds and noticed how freaking hot it was outside. The bulb went off to get some cold water and the two went together. Hot Day, Ice Tray, press my neck cups in?

If I follow the TV method I would just hit them with a hammer then go argue with my Dad...

I found this article from Fabkevin, and am following it to the letter: Tech Tips

In addition I have read it helps to freeze the cups (shrinkage) and put the frame out in the sun (expansion). This is California and the sun is out today so here we go. Yay!




The cups and the tool.

















With these, and a little body english, you can muscle it in with zero damage to the cups or frame.






















I don't have a welder, so I used JB Weld on the threads and endcap of the set nut.















frame outside

















cups in the freezer

















ice cold


















bottom cup, set,


















top cup, set

No comments:

Post a Comment