Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Busy Weekend...

I took what I had over to my parents place for some serious progress.

This is the cork board in my dad's garage showing all the past projects, bikes, vw's etc. I didn't get a shot of the impala from when I was a kid, but oh well.













Here are the unwanted/needed tabs on the frame. The one on the left was for the rear fender, and the one on the right was a bottom mount for a horseshoe style oil tank.










I grabbed a quick shot of my Dad tacking some mounts in place. Don't worry we used a helmet for finish welds. I was outside mostly making brackets from the 1/4 plate, using the real tools.










Real tools part 1
Metal Chop Saw
Bench Grinder with Wire Weel















Real tools part 2
Cutting Torch
Angle Grinder with Coarse Pad

Made things A LOT easier.









Raw plate with markings













Drilling the holes after shaping it on the bench grinder

















With the welds.

My Dad's exact words:

"Don't take a picture of that, those welds are real ugly."

I have nothing but time to shape all the welds and make them a little nicer. You might never see them, but I'll know they're there.




Top view of new brackets:
Seat hinge pivot
seat spring perches
oil tank top brackets
oil tank back bracket fabed and welded









Wider shot of the new brackets

This one shows the fabed and welded bracket for the bottom of the oil tank.

That's what I get for putting in a custom tank, and not just using a horseshoe tank that was meant for the frame.






We also welded up the old tank mount holes.
Ground smooth, ready for new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment